Banne has long and colourful history, first mentioned in an official document in the 13th century, with a royal mandate in 1271 from King Philippe the 3rd, also known as Philippe the Bold and a visit from King Louis the 14th on the 24th of October 1695 where he participated in the marriage of the Lord of Banne.
The history, mostly peaceful is decorated with its Kings, Counts, Lords, Ladies and titles still remains in the foundations of the once magnificent chateau, and the village which has been set around its feet. The fawn hand cut stone houses coat the hill side allowing the imagination to take you back the times when the tiny streets would have been swarming with activity, the stables filled with war horses and the kitchen fires burning long and hard to prepare feasts for the prosperous people.
The chateau and some of the medieval village were destroyed by the revolution in 1792, the chateau was put to flame and then torn down to its foundations – luckily a lack of money hampered its complete destruction.
La Maison du Roure, named after the very family who built and owned the chateau for over three centuries is at the epicentre of the ancient medieval village. Standing four stories high with an enchanting spiral stone staircase, these walls have seen a Court House and even earlier for many years homed the Lord’s brothers and sons who were in line for the titles. Partly destroyed in the Revolution the house has been rebuilt with stones from the chateau itself giving it an intricate look with the charmingly carved stones from the door ways and windows of the once beautiful castle.